How much do you know about IV Therapy? Intravenous (IV) therapy has been a lifesaver for millions worldwide, delivering essential fluids, medications, and nutrients directly into the bloodstream. The practice of IV therapy dates back to the early 1900s, when doctors first used it as a way to treat dehydration. But over the years, it has evolved into a powerful tool for treating many health conditions, from helping cancer patients recover from the harsh side effects of chemotherapy to providing athletes with a quick and effective way to replenish their bodies, IV therapy has proven to be a versatile and highly effective form of treatment.
In this article, we’ll be exploring 101 fascinating facts about IV therapy. From its history to its benefits to the latest advancements in the field, we’ll be diving into every aspect of this incredible medical treatment. We know finding facts and figures about IV Therapy can be time-consuming and frustrating, so we put together this list of the top 101 facts, notes, and statistics so you can easily reference them and refer back to them any time in the future. This space is constantly changing, so if you see a fact that is not up-to-date, feel free to let us know. And if you know a stat that we should add, let us know that too!
1. Intravenous (IV) Therapy Is A Way Of Administering Fluids Directly Into A Vein.
2. IV Therapy Can Promote Weight Loss
3. IV Hydration Can Cure Hangover Symptoms
4. IV Vitamin Therapy May Help Treat Certain Nutrient Deficiencies
5. IV Therapy Can Cleanse Your Body of Unwanted Toxins & Free Radicals
6. IV Therapy Hydration Can Increase Your Energy Levels
7. IV Therapy Can Increase Circulation & Promote Good Cardiovascular Health
8. IV Therapy Can Help Ease Anxiety & Promote Relaxation
9. The Global Market For IV Therapy And Vein Access Will Grow From Nearly $40.7 Billion In 2018 To $54.5 Billion By 2023 With A Compound Annual Growth Rate (Cagr) Of 6.0% For The Period Of 2018-2023.
10. IV Vitamin Therapy Is Clearly A Mainstream Option For Consumers And Is No Longer Just Associated With Celebrities Or Jet-Setting Executives
11. America Tops The Global Leader Board For IV Vitamin Therapy.
12. IV Vitamin Therapy Is One Of The Most Popular Services Advertised By Naturopaths, According To Research From The University Of Alberta.
13. IV Therapy Is Effective Because It Bypasses The Digestive System To Deliver Hydration, Nutrients, And Minerals Directly Into Your Bloodstream.
14. Celebrities Including Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Adele, Chrissy Teigen, And John Legend Have Used IV Therapy As Part Of Their Wellness Routines.
15. IV Can Be Lifesaving For A Patient Who Is Severely Dehydrated, Nutrient Deficient, Or Suffering From A Massive Infection
16. IV Vitamin Therapy Can Administer A High Concentration Of Minerals And Vitamins Directly Into The Bloodstream Rather Than Through The Stomach.
17. A 2018 Study Found IV Therapy Treatment To Be More Beneficial Than Using A Nebulizer, A Device For Inhalation Medications Through A Face Mask, Or Mouthpiece, For Children With Acute Asthma.
18. IV Therapy Can Provide Help For Critically Ill People Who Need Mechanical Ventilation.
19. IV Therapy Can Be Beneficial For Restoring Certain Nutrient Levels If You Have Trouble Maintaining Them.
20. IV Therapy Helps Athletes Recover Following Periods Of Exertion.
21. IV Therapy Can Help Support Your Immune System.
22. If You Find Yourself Knocked Down By The Symptoms Of The Cold Or Flu, IV Therapy Can Offer Relief.
23. IV Therapy For Morning Sickness Includes Fluids For Hydration, As Well As Vitamins And Medication To Help Manage Nausea And Vomiting.
24. IV Therapy For Migraines And Headaches Includes Vitamins And Medication To Mitigate Your Painful Symptoms.
25. The Average IV Treatment Lasts 45 Minutes To An Hour
26. IV Therapy As We Know It Is Barely A Century Old But Did You Know That The Practice Of Injecting Fluids Into A Vein Has Been Around Since The 1600s?
27. Late Middle Ages In 1492, The First Documented Attempt At IV Therapy Was Performed By A Doctor Caring For Pope Innocent VIII In Rome.
28. The First Recorded Attempt At A Blood Transfusion Using Basic IV Treatment Took Place In The 1660s.
29. The Cholera Outbreaks Throughout Europe In The Late 19th Century Propelled The Evolution Of IV Therapy Forward.
30. Intravenous Technology Was First Published In 1883 By Dr. Thomas Latta During A Cholera Epidemic In Britain.
31. While Nurses Almost Always Administer IVs Today, Only Doctors Were Permitted To Place IVs Until 1940.
32. IV Solutions Were Commercially Made Available In The 1930s, Which Paved The Way For Medications To Be Delivered By Infusion.
33. IV Therapy Is Now One Of The Most Widely Used Treatments In Modern Medicine.
34. Intravenous (IV) Therapy Is Known To Be The Fastest Way To Deliver Any Kind Of Fluid Or Medication To The Body, Yielding A Bioavailability Absorption Of 100%.
35. IV Nutritional Therapy, In Which Vitamins, Minerals, And Other Nutrients Are Delivered Directly Into The Bloodstream, Has Been Documented To Increase Energy, Enhance The Strength Of The Immune System, Counter Anxiety And Stress, And Ultimately Act As A Preventive Aging Measure.
36. IV Therapy Does Not Only Help Alleviate Stress And Boost Energy But Can Also Be Used For More Serious And Chronic Diseases.
37. Research Has Shown That Vitamin C Infusions Prolong Survival Times, And Improve the Quality Of Life, In Cancer Patients.
38. None Of The Therapies Is FDA-Approved Or Likely To Be Covered By Health Insurance.
39. IV Vitamin Therapy Was Pioneered By John Myers Of Baltimore In The 1960s As A Method To Treat Conditions Such As Asthma Attacks, Migraines, And Fibromyalgia.
40. IV Therapy Can Alleviate Symptoms Of Heart Disease, Diabetes, Cancer, And Various Neurodegenerative Disorders.
41. Intravenous Therapy Is Used For Infection Control, Dehydration, Malnutrition, Wound Care, And More.
42. Studies Support The Benefits Of IV Infusions With Vitamin C In Cancer Patients.
43. Not Only Can IV Therapy Be Used For Many Types Of Health Problems, It Can Mend Sore Muscles, Boost The Immune System, Help With Post-Workout Muscle Recovery, Dehydration, Chronic Fatigue And Much More.
44. IV Therapy Is An Immediate Way For You To Feel The Effects Of All The Essential Nutrients, Compared To When Ingested.
45.A Vitamin That’s Taken By Mouth Gets Broken Down In The Stomach And Digestive Tract, And Is Limited On How Much Can Be Absorbed (50%). If, However, The Vitamin Is Given Through An IV, It’s Absorbed At A Much Higher Percentage (90%).
46. The Most Popular Reasons For IV Vitamin Treatment Is To Relieve Stress, Rid Your Body Of Toxins, Balance Hormones, Boost Immunity, And Make You Skin Healthier.
47. Vitamins Used In The IVs Are Water Soluble, So Once Your Body Uses What’s Needed, It Will Excrete The Excess Through Your Kidneys Into Your Urine.
48. There’s No Limit To Which Vitamins The IV Therapy Can Work To Infuse Into Your Body.
49. Commonly Seen Ingredients In An IV Vitamin Drip Are Vitamin C, B Vitamins, Magnesium, And Calcium.
50. The First IV Vitamin Drips Were Developed And Administered By Dr. John Myers In The 1970s.
51. Variations Of IV Therapy Have Been Prescribed By Doctors And Administered By Qualified Nurses For Over A Century.
52. Vitamins Are Infused At IV Drip Vitamin Clinics And Usually Contain Either A Single Vitamin — Such As Vitamin C — Or A Cocktail Of Vitamins And Minerals.
53. IV Drips Can Improve Physical Wellness And Improve Aspects Of Emotional Wellness, Such As Depression Or Anxiety, By Giving Your Body The Tools It Needs To Stay In Top Condition.
54. IV Drips For Athletes Are Designed To Flush Out Free Radicals, Promote Healing, Provide Fast And Thorough Rehydration, And Maintain Muscle And Tissues.
55. IVs Can Support Healthy Weight Loss
56. NAD IV Treatments Are An Ideal Cotherapy Alongside A Full Addiction Recovery Program.
57. Regenerative IV Therapies Offer Significant Benefits For Healing And Recovery.
58. An IV Therapist Is A Nurse Who Administers Medications And Products Via IV To Patients With Varying Health Conditions.
59. IV Fluid Often Contains Water, Glucose (Sugar), And Electrolytes (Potassium, Sodium, And Chloride)
60. Healthcare Professionals Administer IV Therapy For Various Reasons, From Dehydration To Hangover Relief, Energy Boosts, And Anti-Aging Treatments.
61. A 2018 Study Revealed A Startling Statistic: As Many As 40% Of American Adults Have A Difficult Time Swallowing Pills Of Any Size.
62. Because The Fluid Or Medication Is Administered Directly Into Your Vein, IV Therapy Bypasses The Entire Digestive System
63. IV Therapy Does Require A Quick Stick With A Needle, Which Allows The Catheter Access To Your Vein.
64. IVs Are Used During Surgeries And Even During Labor And Delivery. IV Therapy Can Also Be Used Outside Of A Hospital Setting In Order To Quickly Provide You With Fluids, Medications, And Even Nutrients.
65. For Patients With Certain Gastrointestinal Conditions, IV Vitamin Treatments Can Help Provide Necessary Nutrition That Their Stomachs Can’t Absorb.
66. IV Therapy Is The Most Effective Delivery System With High Bioavailability For Nutrients, Which Are Often Not Effectively Absorbed In The Digestive System.
67. One Of The Benefits Of Our IV Drip & Vitamin Infusion Therapy Is Its Fast Delivery And Fast Results.
68. Many Patients Begin To Feel The Positive Effects During The IV Treatment Itself, Which Then Continues Over The Following Hours And Days.
69. IV Therapy, You Will See The Results Immediately As You Are Accessing Benefits Through The Bloodstream Directly.
70. One Of The Best Things About IV Therapy Is That It Has Grown Past The Medical Floor And Become Portable!
71. Treatment With IV Therapy Has Proven To Send The Necessary Nutrients Your Body Is Deficient In And Purge Out The Toxins That Are Slowing You Down
72. IV Therapy Will Get Rid Of The Toxins In Your Body Through The Rapid Transformation Of Nutrients Directly Into The Bloodstream
73. IV Therapy With Just Saline Has Shown Significant Improvement In How Well It Helps People Get Rid Of Nausea And Vomiting
74. Using IV Therapy Infused With Essential B Vitamins, You Will Restore The Missing Nutrients Needed For Healthy Skin
75. Anti-Aging For IV Therapy Usually Includes Vitamin C, Glutathione, B Vitamins, Biotin, Selenium, And Calcium.
76. A Great Benefit Of Using IV Therapy Is To Treat Migraines.
77. One Of The Best Things About IV Therapy Is How Fast And Simple It Is To Rejuvenate Your Body
78. IV Treatment Can Also Boost Your Mood, Reduce Stress Levels, And Promote Better Overall Health.
79. Sir Christopher Wren Created The First Successful Infusion Device During His Lifetime (1632-1723).
80. During The Early Part Of The 19th Century, IV Infusions Were Housed In An Open Container Which Was Covered With Gauze In An Effort To Prevent Contamination.
81. In The 1960s, IV Infusion Pumps Became A Ubiquitous Sight In Hospitals All Across The Country
82. IV Therapy Is Not One Size Fits All. The Treatment Is Customized To Be As Beneficial As Possible To Individual Patients So That Achieving Concrete And Therapeutic Results Through Preventive Medical Efforts Is Successful.
83. Patients Can Achieve Higher-Than-Normal Blood Levels With Intravenous Therapy, Which Provide An Immediate Therapeutic Response And Correct Deficiencies.
84. Intravenous (IV) Therapy Is Set For Tremendous Growth In 2021 And Beyond.
85. Treatment Involves The Administration Of Nutrients And Hydration Directly Into The Bloodstream For Immediate Absorption And Use By The Body.
86. The Saline Solution That IV Vitamins Are Suspended In Is Deeply Hydrating To The Bloodstream And Replenishes A Much-Needed Cellular Hydration.
87. IV Vitamin Therapy Is A Safe, Trusted And Effective Treatment To Give Your Body What It Needs To Function At Its Highest Level.
88. IV Vitamin Therapy, Also Known As Intravenous Therapy, Works By Hydrating The Body And Infusing It With The Vitamins And Minerals It Needs Directly Through An Injection To The Bloodstream.
89. Patients May Also Choose IV Vitamin Therapy Because It Can Be Tailored To A Person’s Unique Physiological Needs.
90. When Considering IV Vitamin Therapy, It Is Important To Consider Your Body’s Unique Needs.
91. Many Therapies Are Administered As A “Bolus” Or One-Time Dose, But They May Also Be Administered As An Extended Infusion Or Drip
92. The Act Of Administering A Therapy Intravenously, Or Placing An Intravenous Line (“IV Line”) For Later Use, Is A Procedure Which Should Only Be Performed By A Skilled Professional.
93. The Most Basic Intravenous Access Consists Of A Needle Piercing The Skin And Entering A Vein Which Is Connected To A Syringe Or To External Tubing.
94. IV Lines Are Classified As “Central Lines” If They End In A Large Vein Close To The Heart, Or As “Peripheral Lines” If Their Output Is To A Small Vein In The Periphery, Such As The Arm.
95. Placement Of An IV Line May Cause Pain, As It Necessarily Involves Piercing The Skin.
96. IV Medications Can Also Be Used For Chronic Health Conditions Such As Cancer, For Which Chemotherapy Drugs Are Commonly Administered Intravenously.
97. In Some Countries, Non-Prescription Intravenous Glucose Is Used To Improve A Person’s Energy, But Is Not A Part Of Routine Medical Care In Countries Such As The United States Where Glucose Solutions Are Prescription Drugs.
98. Equipment Used To Place And Administer An IV Line For Infusion Consists Of A Bag, Usually Hanging Above The Height Of The Person, And Sterile Tubing Through Which The Medicine Is Administered.
99. The First Solutions Which Saw Widespread Use For IV Injections Were Simple “Saline-Like Solutions”, Which Were Followed By Experiments With Various Other Liquids, Including Milk, Sugar, Honey, And Egg Yolk
100. Intravenous Therapy Was Expanded By Italian Physician Guido Baccelli In The Late 1890s And Further Developed In The 1930s By Samuel Hirschfeld, Harold T. Hyman And Justine Johnstone Wange But Was Not Widely Available Until The 1950s.
101. In The 1960s, The Concept Of Providing A Person’s Complete Nutritional Needs Through An IV Solution Began To Be Seriously Considered.
Do You Need a Functional Medical Clinic You Can Trust?
As you know Functional Medicine asks how and why illness occurs and restores health by addressing the root causes of disease for each individual. Our goal for all of our patients at Hope for Healing is to optimize whole health, wellness, immunity, and longevity and find and fix the root problems permanently. All of our licensed medical providers have been trained by the Institute for Functional Medicine (ifm.org) and work collaboratively as part of the provider team under the leadership and direction of Paula Kruppstadt MD DABP FAAP IFMCP. We are trained to listen to our patients and take the time to do an appropriate root-cause analysis to find and implement permanent solutions together. If this sounds like we’d be the right fit for you, contact us today at (281) 725-6767!
The materials available on this website are for informational and entertainment purposes only and not for the purpose of providing health advice. You should contact your physician to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in this site without seeking medical, legal or other professional advice. The information presented on this website may not reflect the most current medical developments. No action should be taken in reliance on the information contained on this website and we disclaim all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this site to the fullest extent permitted by law.