If you’re looking for a new pediatrician for your child, you may be wondering what the differences are between holistic and integrative pediatricians. Both of these types of doctors can provide excellent care for your child, but they do have some key differences. In this article, we will discuss the key differences between holistic and integrative pediatricians so that you can make an informed decision about which type of doctor is right for your family!
- Philosophy And Approach: Holistic pediatricians focus on treating the whole child, rather than just treating their symptoms or illnesses. This means they take into account a variety of factors such as diet, lifestyle habits, environment, emotional health, and more in order to create a personalized plan for your child’s health. On the other hand, integrative pediatricians blend conventional medical care with alternative treatments such as acupuncture and homeopathy in order to provide comprehensive treatment plans for children.
- Diagnostic Methods: Before diagnosing an illness, holistic pediatricians typically rely more heavily on physical exams and laboratory tests, whereas integrative doctors are more likely to use additional diagnostic methods, such as energy medicine techniques, herbal therapies, and nutritional testing. Holistic pediatricians also tend to rely more heavily on the patient’s medical history when making a diagnosis.
- Treatment Options: Typically, holistic pediatrics place an emphasis on natural healing approaches such as alterations to one’s diet, the use of herbal treatments, and changes in one’s way of life. On the other hand, integrative physicians typically make use of a combination of conventional treatments like drugs and surgery together with alternative therapies like acupuncture and massage therapy in order to achieve the best possible results for their patients.
- Education And Training: Pediatricians that practice either holistic or integrative medicine are required to complete significant medical training, including a residency that lasts for four years. Holistic pediatricians, on the other hand, also undergo further specialized training in natural medicine, whilst integrative doctors may choose to attend courses in energy medicine or traditional Chinese medicine.
- Type Of Patients Treated: The majority of the patients seen by holistic pediatricians are youngsters suffering from chronic or severe conditions that have not responded favorably to conventional treatment. Integrative pediatricians, on the other hand, treat a wide variety of patients, including those who are suffering from acute illnesses as well as those who want to preserve their health and avoid being sick in the first place.
- Insurance Coverage: The vast majority of insurance providers do not pay for holistic pediatric care, and the ones that do often require patients to get pre-authorization before receiving integrative treatment. Before deciding between a primary care physician and a specialist, it is essential to get clarification from your health insurance company regarding the therapies that are going to be covered under your plan.
- Availability: It may be more challenging to locate holistic pediatricians because of the required specialist training, but word-of-mouth recommendations and internet searches are usually effective ways to locate these doctors. In most regions, integrative medical practitioners are becoming increasingly common and are typically simpler to track down.
- Cost: It is possible that the cost of holistic pediatric care will be greater than the cost of normal medical treatment. This is because a doctor must complete additional specialized training in order to practice this kind of medicine, which might result in a higher cost. On the other hand, integrative pediatrics tends to be more affordable than conventional pediatrics because many insurance companies cover at least some of the expenditures connected with it.
It is vital to take the time to investigate your alternatives in order to make sure that you select a physician who is the greatest fit for the requirements of your family. This is true regardless of the type of physician that you decide to go with. Make sure you are aware of the benefits that both holistic and integrative physicians may provide for your child’s health before making a decision. Both types of pediatricians can provide helpful insights and care for your child’s wellbeing.
Do You Need a Functional Medical Clinic You Can Trust?
As you know Functional Medicine asks how and why illness occurs and restores health by addressing the root causes of disease for each individual. Our goal for all of our patients at Hope for Healing is to optimize whole health, wellness, immunity, and longevity and find and fix the root problems permanently. All of our licensed medical providers have been trained by the Institute for Functional Medicine (ifm.org) and work collaboratively as part of the provider team under the leadership and direction of Paula Kruppstadt MD DABP FAAP IFMCP. We are trained to listen to our patients and take the time to do an appropriate root-cause analysis to find and implement permanent solutions together. If this sounds like we’d be the right fit for you, contact us today at (281) 725-6767!
The materials available on this website are for informational and entertainment purposes only and not for the purpose of providing health advice. You should contact your physician to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in this site without seeking medical, legal or other professional advice. The information presented on this website may not reflect the most current medical developments. No action should be taken in reliance on the information contained on this website and we disclaim all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this site to the fullest extent permitted by law.